Saturday, August 15, 2015

Grandpa Reynolds and the Grapevines



These are grapes that grow behind the house. I am sure that they were starts from Grandpa Reynolds' place.

Every time I see the grapes growing around the property, I think of two things. One is the awesome grape juice my MIL used to make with these grapes. There are still a few dusty half-gallon jars down in the cool cellar...but they are quite old, so I am a little afraid to try them out!

The second is the story of Grandpa Reynolds and the Grapevines. You see, many years ago, Grandpa Reynolds was up on a ladder on the smokehouse, trimming the grape vines that nearly covered the old, weathered wood building. The story goes that Grandpa fell off the ladder and hurt his back. Stubborn Reynolds man that he is, he refused to go to the doctor. After three days in bed, someone finally forced him into the car and a trip to the doctor. After examining the x-rays, the Dr. told Grandpa that he had broken his back! And furthermore "This is not the first time your back has been broken." Grandpa replied, "You know, I do remember another time, 10-15 years ago, when I fell off a ladder while pruning some fruit trees. It laid me up for a few days."

These stories from our family remind me of the stories of the tenacity of the settlers who came to this region in the 1700-1800's. It is amazing, the lives that they lived and the foundation that they have laid for our country.


More of our summer bounty, almost ready to pick!
Summer Beauty

We had the most breathtaking sunset last night. It was almost as if a bit of Heaven slipped out!

No comments:

Post a Comment