Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Planting by the Light of the Moon

We are new gardeners, over here at HoW...so we are trying out some different things, to see what works the best in our climate, soil and within the time we have available to work in the garden and process the produce.

One of our new neighbors came over just before July 4th and turned a large garden plot for us. It is roughly 50' by 80' and honestly, the sight of it scares me to death!!  I am now responsible to plant, tend and harvest all of this space! So, I did what any self-respecting homesteader would do. I gave each of the three kids a large plot to plant! Whew! That takes a little off my plate :-)

Getting a new garden space!

And then I followed the advice of my sweet friend DeLynn over at Gibson Farm...know what she said? "Put the seeds in the ground. They know what to do from there." Why didn't I ever think of that?!

So, while poking around on the Farmers' Almanac site I discovered Gardening by the Moon...the theory is that the pull of the moon during its different cycles has an effect on the seeds, much as the moon pulls the tides in and out. It sounds good, so we are giving it a try. Here is the link: Gardening by the Moon Calendar

Little bean plants...after only 3 1/2 days!

We made up a calendar, and the kids just check it every day, to see what they can plant. It is fun, watching them make plans for their spaces, and seeing how each plot takes on the character of its owner.

Sweet Potato tending her plot

Time will tell how our "moon planting" will work out...stay tuned for more photos!

A tiny pepper...this was a transplant, so it is farther along

Look!! A tiny little squash!
Now, if I could just get Chipero to deliver a few loads of wood chips out here, I could try some Back to Eden Gardening, too!



No comments:

Post a Comment